A push of warmer air will cause precipitation to break out this afternoon across the Finger Lakes.Initially, this precipitation should be primarily snow. An inch or so may fall, with a few spots getting a bit more, especially in the higher elevations southwest of the Finger Lakes.
As the main batch of precipitation begins to depart by the evening, enough warm air will come in aloft that there is a small chance of some patchy freezing rain, mostly in the 6-9pm window. I think, however, that most areas will NOT see icing as surface temperatures will be above freezing much of the afternoon and evening before rising well into the 30s overnight. Furthermore, anything that falls after sunset will likely be scattered and light. Still, it only take a little ice to make the roads treacherous, so use caution if you are out and about tonight- it is better to expect some ice and not have it than be surprised by its presence.
Here are this morning’s forecast points:
- Cold and dry this morning with snow developing this afternoon.
- An inch or two of snow accumulation this afternoon.
- A few patches of ice this evening due to spotty freezing rain.
- Otherwise, precipitation should mostly be a couple of rain showers overnight.
- Highs into the 40s tomorrow with one or two rain showers.
- Cool air returns Thursday, with highs in the low 30s.