Here is your quick Sunday look at the weather for the next few days.
- Hot temperatures will move into the Finger Lakes for Sunday and Monday. Monday should be a couple of degrees hotter than Sunday with slightly higher dew points. Some areas could see heat index values sneak above 95º.
- A cold front will move through the area on Tuesday. Some showers and thunderstorms are expected as the front passes through.
- More comfortable air moves in for the middle and end of next week with lower humidity and near normal temperatures.
Remember to take it easy during the heat over the next few days. Our bodies are acclimated to the cooler weather of the past month or two and this is the first multi-day heat and humidity even of the season.
Follow these tips for staying safe in the heat:
- NEVER leave a child, elderly adult, or animal in a parked car. Even with the windows open, temperatures inside the car can quickly reach critical levels, even when temperatures are just in the 80s.
- Protect yourself from the harmful rays of the sun.
- Avoid strenous outdoor activities during the peak heating of the day
- Stay hydrated with water- no alcohol or sugary carbonated beverages.
- Take advantage of public air conditioning in libraries, malls, and stores. Offer to transport those who cannot otherwise get to these places.
- Check in on the eldery who do not have air conditioning or may not have had their systems serviced yet this season.
- Don’t forget to keep your animals hydrated and out of the sun, too.